Monday, April 7, 2008

Edward Steichen


Self-portrait, 1902



Milk bottles, 1915
You have to also recognize images that you don't appreciate as much. This could have been a beautiful, interesting image, but it's just too busy. It does help, however, that the milk bottle is bright white against gray and black tones. Maybe if Steichen had opened up to a wide aperture, it would be a better photograph.


Lotus, 1915
This image is arguable one of Steichen's best. It's also a personal favorite, because I tended to photograph mostly natural subjects early on after picking up a camera. I also remember seeing this image in High School.


Flower pots, 1920.
Probably not one of Steichen's best images, however, this image is personally important because it influenced some of the subjects I photographed when I used my first SLR during sophomore year of High School. The repetition of shape and form are beautiful in this image. I took an image of a neighbor's car with a load of tires in the back, which I know was directly in response to this image.


Moonrise Mamaroneck, 1904.
Gum bichromate print.


Matisse and serpentine, 1909.
Another beautiful painterly image--of an artist.


Jascha Heifetz, 1928.
One of my favorite Steichen photographs.
You can feel the drama, you can hear the violin.


Isodora Duncan, 1921.
I love how this image has a painterly feel and the scale is incredible.




No comments: